, officially Otowa-san Kiyomizu-dera is an independent Buddhist temple in eastern Kyoto. The temple is part of the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (Kyoto, Uji and Otsu Cities) UNESCO World Heritage site. It was one of 20 finalists for the New7Wonders of the World.The place is not to be confused with Kiyomizu-dera in Yasugi, Shimane, which is part of the 33-temple route of the Chūgoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage through western Japan, or the Kiyozumi-dera temple associated with the Buddhist priest Nichiren.HistoryKiyomizu-dera was founded in the early Heian period. The temple was founded in 778 by Sakanoue no Tamuramaro, and its present buildings were constructed in 1633, ordered by the Tokugawa Iemitsu. There is not a single nail used in the entire structure. It takes its name from the waterfall within the complex, which runs off the nearby hills. Kiyomizu means clear water, or pure water.It was originally affiliated with the old and influential Hossō sect dating from Nara times. However, in 1965 it severed that affiliation, and its present custodians call themselves members of the "Kitahossō" sect.PresentThe main hall has a large veranda, supported by tall pillars, that juts out over the hillside and offers impressive views of the city. Large verandas and main halls were constructed at many popular sites during the Edo period to accommodate large numbers of pilgrims.
Con kiyomizudera o kiyomizu-dera ci si riferisce ad una serie di templi buddhisti giapponesi, ma in particolare al tempio di Otowasan Kiyomizudera nella città di Kyōto. È uno degli antichi monumenti della città, considerati patrimonio dell'umanità dall'UNESCO; ed è anche uno dei finalisti per le sette meraviglie del mondo moderno.StoriaKiyomizu-dera venne fondato all'inizio del periodo Heian. La costruzione fu iniziata nel 798, ma l'edificio attuale, costruito durante la restaurazione ordinata da Tokugawa Iemitsu, risale al 1633. Per la sua costruzione non è stato usato un singolo chiodo. Il nome deriva dalla cascata presente all'interno del complesso, che scorre dalla colline vicine. Kiyomizu significa "acqua pulita", o "acqua pura".Originariamente era affiliato della vecchia e influente setta Hossō fin dall'epoca di Nara. Comunque nel 1965 cessò l'affiliazione e i custodi attuali si definiscono membri della setta "Kitahossō".Accesso Ferrovie Keihan, Linea principale Keihan, Stazione di Kiyomizu-Gojō (25 minuti a piedi)
Rokuharamitsu-ji is a Buddhist temple in Kyoto, Japan. Founded by Kūya in 951, the Hondō was burned during the wars at the end of the Heian period. Its replacement of 1363, damaged during the Meiji period, was restored in 1969. The temple house a number of statues of the Heian and Kamakura periods that have been designated Important Cultural Properties, including a Kamakura period image of its founder Kūya, as well as a Heian Jūichimen Kannon that is a National Treasure.
Hōkō-ji is a temple in Kyoto, Japan, dating from the 16th century. Toyotomi Hideyoshi determined that the capital city should have a Daibutsu temple to surpass that of Nara. He is reputed to have claimed at the outset that he would complete construction in half the time it took Emperor Shōmu to complete the Great Buddha of Nara. The project during Emperor Shomū's reign took ten years. Hideyoshi would complete the initial phase of his project in only three years. The architects for this project were Nakamura Masakiyo and Heinouchi Yoshimasa.
Toyokuni Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan. It was built in 1599 to commemorate Toyotomi Hideyoshi. It is the location of the first tamaya (a Shinto altar for ancestor worship) ever constructed, which was later destroyed by the Tokugawa clan.HistoryThis shrine is the official tomb and shrine of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who died September 18, 1598 in Kyoto.Nobles, priests, warriors, and townspeople gathered at the shrine to celebrate the anniversary of Hideyoshi's apotheosis with banquets, musical recitals, and boisterous festivity. The shrine was closed by Tokugawa Ieyasu in June 1615 "to discourage these unseemly displays of loyalty to a man he had eclipsed."The Meiji Emperor directed that the shrine be restored in Keiō 4, the 6th day of the 6th month (April 28, 1868). At that time, the shrine area was expanded slightly by encompassing a small parcel of land which had been part of the adjacent Hōkō-ji.In 1897, the tercentenary of Hideyoshi was celebrated at this site.ArchitectureThe karamon gate is rumored to have been moved from Fushimi Castle.