is a Buddhist temple in Higashiyama District of Kyoto, Japan. Officially known as "Rengeō-in" (蓮華王院), or Hall of the Lotus King, Sanjūsangen-dō belongs to and is run by the Myoho-in temple, a part of the Tendai school of Buddhism. The temple name literally means Hall with thirty three spaces between columns, describing the architecture of the long main hall of the temple.HistoryTaira no Kiyomori completed the temple under order of Emperor Go-Shirakawa in 1164. The temple complex suffered a fire in 1249 and only the main hall was rebuilt in 1266. In January, the temple has an event known as the Rite of the Willow (柳枝のお加持), where worshippers are touched on the head with a sacred willow branch to cure and prevent headaches. A popular archery tournament known as the Tōshiya (通し矢) has also been held here, beside the West veranda, since the Edo period. The duel between the famous warrior Miyamoto Musashi and Yoshioka Denshichirō, leader of the Yoshioka-ryū, is popularly believed to have been fought just outside Sanjūsangen-dō in 1604.Important featuresThe main deity of the temple is Sahasrabhuja-arya-avalokiteśvara or the Thousand Armed Kannon. The statue of the main deity was created by the Kamakura sculptor Tankei and is a National Treasure of Japan. The temple also contains one thousand life-size statues of the Thousand Armed Kannon which stand on both the right and left sides of the main statue in 10 rows and 50 columns. Of these, 124 statues are from the original temple, rescued from the fire of 1249, while the remaining 876 statues were constructed in the 13th century. The statues are made of Japanese cypress clad in gold leaf. Around the 1000 Kannon statues stand 28 statues of guardian deities. There are also two famous statues of Fūjin and Raijin.
Nishi Hongan-ji is one of two temple complexes of Jōdo Shinshū in Kyoto, Japan, the other being Higashi Honganji, or "Eastern Temple of the Original Vow". Jōdo Shinshū is a school of Pure Land Buddhism, and today Nishi Hongan-ji serves as the head temple of the Jōdo Shinshū organization. As with many sites in Kyoto, they have more casual names, and are known affectionately in Kyoto as and.HistoryNishi Honganji was established in 1602 by the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. Ieyasu split the main Honganji in Kyoto into two temples, Nishi Hongan-ji and Higashi Hongan-ji, in order to diminish the power of the Jōdo Shinshu sect. Nishi Hongan-ji is listed as one of the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Temple precinctNishi Hongan-ji occupies almost all of a rectangular area bounded by Hanayachō-dōri (Hanayachō Street) to the north, Horikawa-dōri (Horikawa Street) to the east, Shichijō-dōri (Shichijō Street) to the south, and Shichijō-dōri (Omiya Street) to the west. The main entrance to Nishi Hongan-ji is to the east on Horikawa-dōri. As the name of the temple implies, it is located to the west of Higashi Hongan-ji. Nishi Hongan-ji is older than the latter and has a more integral architecture.
is a Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect in Kyoto, Japan. It once had a partner, Sai-ji and, together, they stood alongside the Rashomon, gate to the Heian capital. It was formally known as which indicates that it previously functioned as a temple providing protection for the nation. Tō-ji is located in Minami-ku near the intersection of Ōmiya Street and Kujō Street, southwest of Kyoto Station.Tō-ji was founded in the early Heian period. The temple dates from 796, two years after the capital moved to Heian-kyō. Together with its partner Sai-ji, and the temple Shingon-in, it was one of only three Buddhist temples allowed in the capital at the time, and is the only of the three to survive to the present.Tō-ji is often associated with Kōbō Daishi . Though Tō-ji began to decline in the end of Heian period, it came back into the spotlight with the rise of Daishi Shinko in Kamakura period. The well-known Buddhist priest was put in charge of Tō-ji in 823 by order of Emperor Saga. The temple's principal image is of Yakushi Nyorai, the Medicine Buddha. Many religious services for Daishi are held in, the residence of Kōbō Daishi.
Fushimi Inari Taisha is the head shrine of Inari, located in Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Japan. The shrine sits at the base of a mountain also named Inari which is 233 metres above sea level, and includes trails up the mountain to many smaller shrines which span 4 kilometers and takes approximately 2 hours to walk up.Since early Japan, Inari was seen as the patron of business, and merchants and manufacturers have traditionally worshipped Inari. Each of the torii at Fushimi Inari Taisha is donated by a Japanese business. First and foremost, though, Inari is the god of rice.This popular shrine is said to have as many as 32,000 sub-shrines (bunsha) throughout Japan.HistoryThe shrine became the object of imperial patronage during the early Heian period. In 965, Emperor Murakami decreed that messengers carry written accounts of important events to the guardian kami of Japan. These heihaku were initially presented to 16 shrines, including the Inari Shrine.From 1871 through 1946, Fushimi Inari-taisha was officially designated one of the '', meaning that it stood in the first rank of government supported shrines.StructuresThe earliest structures were built in 711 on the Inariyama hill in southwestern Kyoto, but the shrine was re-located in 816 on the request of the monk Kūkai. The main shrine structure was built in 1499. At the bottom of the hill are the main gate and the. Behind them, in the middle of the mountain, the is reachable by a path lined with thousands of torii. To the top of the mountain are tens of thousands of for private worship.
Tōfuku-ji is a Buddhist temple in Higashiyama-ku in Kyoto, Japan. Tōfuku-ji takes its name from two temples in Nara, Tōdai-ji and Kōfuku-ji. It is one of the so-called Kyoto Gozan or "five great Zen temples of Kyoto". Its honorary sangō prefix is Enichi-san.HistoryTōfuku-ji was founded in 1236 by the imperial chancellor Kujō Michiie. He appointed the monk Enni as founding priest, who had studied Rinzai Zen Buddhism in China under the monk Wuzhun Shifan. The temple was burned but rebuilt in the 15th century according to original plans. Tofuku-ji was one of the five temples of the Five Mountain System.AbbotsIn 1486 Ryōan Keigo became the 171st abbot of Tōfuku-ji. At the end of the 16th century Ankokuji Ekei was appointed abbot. From 1980 to 2009 Tōfuku-ji has been led by head abbot Keidō Fukushima.
Fushimi Inari Taisha adalah kuil Shinto yang berada di Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Jepang. Kuil ini merupakan kuil pusat bagi sekitar 40.000 kuil Inari yang memuliakan Inari. Kuil utama terletak di kaki Gunung Inari, dan tanah milik kuil mencakup gunung yang tingginya 233 meter.Di kuil ini dimuliakan Ukanomitama bersama pendampingnya, Satahiko no Ōkami, Ōmiyanome no ōkami, Tanaka no ōkami, dan Shi no ōkami. Inari dipercaya sebagai dewa pertanian, sehingga kuil ini dipercaya membawa berkah bagi panen palawija, kesukesan dalam perdagangan bisnis, dan keselamatan di bidang transportasi.Kuil Fushimi Inari masuk dalam peringkat kuil menurut Jinmyōchō (daftar nama kuil) yang diterbitkan bersama Engishiki. Selain itu, kuil ini berada dalam kelompok 7 kuil papan atas dari daftar 22 kuil utama. Dalam sistem lama peringkat kuil Shinto, kuil ini merupakan salah satu dari kampeisha (kuil resmi yang didanai pemerintah Jepang).Kuil utama yang ada sekarang dibangun tahun 1499 setelah bangunan yang lama habis terbakar sewaktu terjadi Perang Ōnin. Aula utama kuil ini ditetapkan pemerintah Jepang sebagai warisan budaya yang penting. Sejak abad ke-17, penganut kuil Fushimi Inari memiliki tradisi membangun torii. Sekitar 10.000 torii yang berderet-deret di Gunung Inari merupakan hasil sumbangan umat. Di antaranya, Senbon torii (deretan seribu torii) telah menjadi salah satu objek pariwisata.
Hōkō-ji is a temple in Kyoto, Japan, dating from the 16th century. Toyotomi Hideyoshi determined that the capital city should have a Daibutsu temple to surpass that of Nara. He is reputed to have claimed at the outset that he would complete construction in half the time it took Emperor Shōmu to complete the Great Buddha of Nara. The project during Emperor Shomū's reign took ten years. Hideyoshi would complete the initial phase of his project in only three years. The architects for this project were Nakamura Masakiyo and Heinouchi Yoshimasa.